At Flotech we have over 30 years combined experience in Vapour Recovery Units (VRU) and are Official UK Distributors and System Integrators for Aereon, formally Jordan Industries. Aereon are the largest specialist VRU manufacturer in the World and offer units suitable for recovery of VOCs in truck, rail, marine and tank breathing applications.
Basic Operation of a VRU
A basic vapour recovery unit system comprises a pressure swing absorption (PSA) process with two activated carbon bed vessels, alternating on a 15 minute time cycle. Regeneration of the carbon reactors is accomplished primarily by vessel evacuation with a vacuum pump to a pressure level of-27 Hg (3 Hg absolute) and secondly, with ambient air purge into the bed in a controlled manner during the last 25% of the regeneration cycle.
The VOCs (volatile organic compounds) desorbed from the carbon during reactor regeneration are effectively recovered in a single step process that is absorption in a packed tower, counter current flow, absorber. Supply tank absorbent is pumped on skid for use as lean oil in the absorber and as a heat exchange fluid for the vacuum pump.
All product recovered by the system is pumped back to the absorbent supply tank mentioned. Here the enriched recovered liquid product is allowed to disperse throughout the supply tank environment. Aereon Technologies offers both the dry vacuum pump regeneration system as well as the liquid ring regeneration system.
Using their many years field service experience, Aereon have engineered their systems to incorporated unique design features that exceed industry needs – these include;
- Patented auto tuned vent and regeneration valves to protect vacuum pumps and carbon; increasing the life of the carbon
- Patented return pump variable frequency drive level control to prevent gasoline spills
- Self cleaning absorber tower with dished head bottom to eliminate confined space entry
- Complete HMI control of all components and set points to allow for ease of operation
- Remote web access for troubleshooting to reduce downtime
- Historical trending of all VRU parameters and alarms
- Skid mounted system; shipped and installed in four major parts
- All components mounted and completely wired from the factory to skid mounted junction boxes
- Skid and components designed for easy accessibility for maintenance and system checks
- Reporting package specifically designed to meet Subpart BBBBBB regulations
- Smallest industry footprint allows for reduced civil installation cost
- Lowest industry energy consumption; reduces energy consumption on average 50% over competitive models
- Typical return on investment less than 1 year; providing a quick payback and immediate profit increase
- Robust design proven to pass HAZOP reviews by major oil companies globally
If you have a requirement for a VRU system please dont hesitate to get in touch.